This is a fantastic enrichment activity for chickens. Not only does it let them express their normal foraging (searching) behaviours, but when they’re done, they can have some fun shredding the newspaper! Make one for your chickens at home and/or for SPCA chickens waiting for their forever homes. Companion birds will enjoy small versions of this enrichment toy as well.
Remember: Always supervise your animals when they are using enrichment. Your chickens may not want to use their foraging box right away. Patience and a slow introduction are key.
- Cardboard box (be sure to remove any tape, stickers, and/or staples to ensure it's safe)
- Craft knife
- Cut the top of the cardboard box off so that you’re left with a shallow tray-like bottom, roughly 3.5 inches high.
- Cut holes in the sides of the box for the newspaper to go through. Start small, you can always make the holes bigger if needed. Be careful - ask an adult for help with this step!
- Cut the newspaper into several long strips.
- Starting with the long sides, thread layers of the newspaper strips through one side and out the other.
- Pour some chicken feed inside the box (if you are using this with your own chickens) and let the foraging begin!
Go Back Download Instructions