This awesome enrichment can be used with dogs (kibble), like our example, or with rabbits/guinea pigs (veggies and hay).
Note: String can be a choking and strangling hazard for animals. Always supervise your animals when they are using this enrichment clothesline.
- Cardboard rolls
- Scrap fabric
- Cut small strips of fabric that when rolled, will fit snug (but not too tight) into the cardboard roll.
- Cut a long piece of string/twine.
- Poke two small holes in the top of the cardboard roll on opposite sides. Make sure they are big enough for the string/twine to go through. Repeat this step for all of the cardboard rolls.
- Next, thread the string/twine through the holes, securing a knot on each side so that they stay in place.
- Repeat step 4 until your clothesline is full.
- This next step depends on the animal that you’re making the clothesline for:
a. Your animals at home – Dogs: you can roll their biscuits in the fabric material and then stuff the pieces into the cardboard roll, with a little sticking out of the bottom. Rabbits/guinea pigs: you can stuff the cardboard roll with hay and/or their favourite veggies (not using the material). When done, hang it in a safe place for your animal to use!
b. SPCA animals – please do not include any food as SPCA staff will stuff the clothesline with either kibble or hay and veggies.
Go Back Download Instructions