Our cats and kittens love toys to play with and having fun toys stops them from getting bored while they waiting to find their forever home. You can make knitted mice for our cats and kittens by following the instructions below.
Remember to ask your parent's or guardian's permission before making these toys or giving them to your own pets to play with. Cats should always be supervised when playing with this toy.
Parents: It is your responsibility to ensure that this project and this toy are appropriate for your child and your pet.
- Size 8 (4mm) knitting needles.
- Scraps of 8ply (or thicker) wool – any colour.
- Cast on 12 stitches leaving an extra long tail approx 80cms.
- Knit 12 rows of stocking stitch.
- Decrease 1 stitch at each end of next 4 rows, finishing with 4 stitches.
- Break off wool (20cms +), thread through stitches and fasten tightly.
- Cast on 6 stitches.
- Knit 1 row.
- Break off wool, thread through stitches and fasten tightly.
- Thread ends through body, tie all 4 ends together on wrong side.
- Sew body from nose to tail, stuff, gather bottom and secure.
- Method 1) Twisted Cord - fold long tail end in half with a 5cm overlap along mouse body, twist wool until tight, fold in half and let wool twist together. Secure overlap end into mouse body.
- Method 2) Crocheted Chain - crochet chain and attach to body.
- Be sure to make sure the tail is long like the one in the photos - the cats love long tails!
Many thanks from the cats and kittens at SPCA!
Go Back Download Instructions