Our dogs and puppies love toys to play with and this stops them from getting bored while they waiting to find their forever home. You can make rope toys for
the dogs by tearing old, clean material into strips and plaiting or braiding them really tightly together. Follow the instructions below to make these fun toys...
- Take three pillow cases of varying colours, split all stitching so you are left with three equal lengths of fabric
- Collect all three together at the end and tie in a secure knot, then plait, making sure the plaits are nice and tight
- Once you have reached the end, tie in another secure knot. If length allows, tie a third knot
- Gather fabric together at one end of the sheet and tie into a good secure knot
- At the other end, divide the sheet into three and tear back up to the knot, then begin to plait tightly.
These plaits need to be very tight and secure, so they last when being chewed and pulled!
- When almost to the end, tie another knot to finish
- Duvet covers make great tug toys for larger dogs
- Split the seams of duvet so the cover becomes one long length of fabric
- Gather the fabric up at one end and tie a good secure knot and follow the instructions above for the sheets, remembering to keep plaits really nice and tight.
- The sizes should range from 60cm to 1m in length
Many thanks from the dogs and puppies at SPCA
Go Back Download Instructions